Meeting with the Leader of the West Sussex County Council
We can report a good meeting on December 5th between our Chairman, Louise Goldsmith (Leader and our local councillor) and Dominic Smith of the WSCC regarding this development. No big decisions were taken, but we are moving forward:
- We will get no detail about the route of the Southern Access Road (SAR) until the Section 106 agreement has been signed (in about 4 months), and the preliminary design work started (a further 2 months).
- Dominic is absolutely adamant that the end of Westgate will be severed to protect it from rat-runners entering from the SAR.
- The SAR will definitely go into Cathedral Way, presumably at the College roundabout and not as shown on the Local Plan.
- Louise is pressuring the developers to do the SAR as soon as possible and not wait until the 125th
- Louise and Dominic are definite that there will be a consultative group with RAs and the developers with officers, which will be able to influence the final design. The membership of this will vary depending on what issues are being discussed, but we are guaranteed a seat for ‘our bit’.
- The signalisation of the Westgate-Ave de Chartres roundabout at our eastern end is extremely likely to happen.
Residents can count on our traffic Action Group continuing to monitor this situation with vigour. If you have any queries or require further clarification, please write to the Chair.