White House Farm
The Section 106 has still not been signed! I think it is the developers who are dragging their feet, possibly for commercial reasons.
However, I had a very useful meeting with Louise Goldsmith on 16th March, which was also attended by representatives of the East Broyle and North walls RAs. We met Steve Shaw who is Dominic Smith’s replacement as Head of Highways Planning for the WSCC and also his boss Mike Elkington, the Head of Highways. We reviewed all the Vectos plans for alterations to the road system in association with Phase 1 of the WHF development and strongly expressed our concerns where appropriate.
No progress at the moment but the plan to develop it as a car park has been delayed. We are pressing for the re-development to start as soon as possible.
Westgate’s Royal Wedding Street Party – Saturday, 19th May 2018
You will have received a flyer through the door with all the information. This is to be a tea party starting at 2.00pm. If you have any questions, please contact Brian Raincock
General Data Protection Regulations
The WGRA is committed to continuing to comply with Data Protection rules which change from May 2018 under the General Data Protection Regulations (which replaces the Data Protection Act) and we are working to continue to ensure that your privacy is protected and that you consent to our holding data you have given to us. You have provided us with your name, address, email [and in some cases, details of your household] as part of signing up as a supporter of the Westgate Residents’ Association, in order to receive emails from us, including a regular Bulletin and other communications relating to events and our local area.
As part of our review process:
• In the future, we would like to continue to use email as our key means of communication with you, and trust you continue to agree to this. If you do not wish to continue to receive-mail communications from us, you can let us know and we will remove your information and un-subscribe you from our mailings and records.
• We have provided an unsubscribe link on our website, and as far as possible, all communications will contain information on how to have your details removed from our data base. (see the end of this bulletin)
• We will not pass on your details to any third party without your express consent or unless re-quired by law to do so.
Should you have any concerns about your personal contact details or data held by us, please contact our Secretary Bebette Jones
Under the terms of our insurance we are required to keep an accident book. This is kept by Brian Raincock at 4 Mount Lane, Tel: 01243 539138. If you have an accident or injury while taking part in an activity organized by the WGRA please inform Brian.
Spring in Westgate
1. Brian Raincock is planning a working party to paint the bollards by the planters in the western part of the street.
2. Julia Smith is planning a Traffic Awareness Week. We are hoping that both these events can be coordinated near the time of the street party (late May) to encourage local involvement. If you can help, please try to come to the coffee morning on Saturday 7th May or contact the organiser direct.
3. Have you tidied up your planter for spring? Any spare bedding plants will be welcome. Contact is Penny Tomlinson
Traffic Awareness Week
Many residents continue to complain about traffic speeding and rat-running in Westgate. Boxgrove village ran a successful community event last year, and public research suggests that drivers do change their behaviour if they have a greater sense of the community/people living on the streets that they drive through. If we can galvanise enough support, the sorts of things we could do might include:-
• having a street presence at key times – come out with a flask/mug of tea and gather round a large “Westgate Road Safety Week” sign. We need 8-10 people to have a presence and wear a yellow safety jacket if you have one – this makes drivers realise that people live on Westgate.
• borrowing the community speed camera – if we have the support of trained volunteers, we could record date formally.
• simply making and putting up signs/bunting in the planters along Westgate with key messages eg. Drive Slowly, 20s Plenty, Are you Rat-Running?, Say No to Rat-Running, Children Playing, Slow Down, Keep Westgate Safe etc.
If it shames even a small number of drivers to modify their behaviour/speed or that they are rat-running, then it serves a purpose. In the meantime, please keep driving at no more than 20mph in the hope that the message gets across to other drivers!
Every 1st Saturday morning of the month – WGRA Coffee Morning at the Crate and Apple. Just turn up between 10.00am and 11.00am and meet your neighbours. Next one is Saturday 7 April.
Every Monday morning from 10am – 12 noon. Knitting and Social Group. Knitter or not, come along and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea at the Crate and Apple. Organiser: Sally Lowe
Last Monday in the month – “Bavardage au Pub” at the Crate and Apple at 6.30pm. A relaxed hour or so speaking French. All levels welcome. Contact Jane Davies, 07792 708229